Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Me and my hubcap

I've had better weeks, people. And it's only Tuesday. The 2nd day of my holiday break.

Yesterday's events swirl around in my head like a bad dream. Playing over and over and over again. Lost details rise up out of nowhere. Guilt weighs heavily.



"If only's" plague my mind...

  • If only I had left my house at a different time.
  • If only I had taken a different route.
  • If only I hadn't wondered if another lane would get there faster.
  • If only I had looked one more time.

If only, if only, if only.

And all that's left of our new car of only 9 months? A cracked, dirty hubcap. You don't even want to know what the car looked like. The tow truck guy said it might be totaled. The collision shop was surprised no one got hurt.

After 25 years of driving without one accident. It all happened in an instant.

What I'm grateful for:

  • The girl in the other car, along with her 2-year-old daughter, and dog, weren't injured.
  • That I didn't get more than a bump on the head.
  • The girl was gracious and forgiving and said we all make mistakes.
  • Her daughter sat content, watching a DVD without the slightest worry, while the dog wagged his tail and panted unknowingly, next to her.
  • The accident wasn't worse than it was.
  • That no one else was involved.
  • That the kind man with the lovely British accent waited with us as a witness and helped talk to 911 and police, even though he had his kids with him in the car and I'm sure had many things to do that day.
  • That the tow truck driver was so patient with me as I fumbled around trying to figure out where to have my car taken.
  • That my airbags didn't go off and cause more damage.
  • That she didn't hit me in the driver's side door which could have been so much worse.
  • That I didn't scream back at the man driving by in his car as he yelled in an angry voice, "Get your cars out of the road!" (p.s. Mr. Scrouge, they weren't drive-able) 
  • That my sister survived the birthday party I was on my way to help her with.
  • That my husband is so understanding and kind. All he cared about was that I was ok.
  • That my sweet family called, offering words of comfort.
  • For my loving husband letting us watch the "Whip It" roller derby movie, to make me feel better.


As I watched the tow truck slowly roll off with my sweet little Yaris on its back, and began the lonely walk of shame back to my apartment, something along the curb caught my eye. There tucked quietly along the side of the road, sat my poor little hubcap. I'm so sorry, I whispered (as if my car had feelings) and picked it up and took it home with me.

Bless the good people in this world who have patience, kindness and understanding during difficult circumstances! May we all be a little more patient & kind with each other, especially at this time of year. xo


{car update here}


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm so sorry! I hope your week gets better. You know, since Christmas is in it and all.
    Wish you'd taken pictures of your poor little Yaris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how sad and scary! So glad everyone was ok!
    When I was 20 I was driving home from college and fell asleep-in the middle of the day. Rolled of the side of the road. Again, amazing that no one was hurt and the accident didn't send us off a bridge or something.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips