Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Edible Creativity: Key Lime Pie

I hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving! As always, it seemed to go by way too fast. And I'm not just talking about scarfing down dinner. You know what I mean, you work on it for 10 hours, you eat it in 10 minutes? Crazy phenomenon.

I'll admit, after all the holiday hoopla it's a little hard to return to reality. However, on the bright side, the countdown to Christmas has begun!

For our holiday feast, I tried my hand at making a Key Lime Pie I found on allrecipes.com, per the request of my 17-year-old niece.  It turned out pretty delicious, if I do say so myself. Creamy and light with just the right tang.
And no egg yolks, like so many other recipes.
  • Condensed Milk
  • Sour Cream
  • And ok, I did cheat and use Key Lime Juice, unlike the die hard pie makers who juiced 40 limes with their bare hands.



But I did zest 2 fresh limes to make up for it


And made my own graham cracker crust (I get a few points for that too don't I?)
  • 1/3c sugar, 6T. melted butter and about 10 sheets of crushed graham crackers




Pre-oven pie
Fingers crossed...


We had a little extra filling and crust, so we made a little sample. I mean come on, we had to make sure the pie was ok to eat, right?!


And voila! It only took us about 6 slices before we got a skinny enough slice of lime to put on top. haha

The price of perfection.


And in case you want to try it, here's the recipe, with *my changes:


Key Lime Pie VII 

Ingredients

1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
*2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.

[*Homemade graham crust: mix 1/3c sugar, 6T. melted butter and about 10 sheets of crushed graham crackers and press into pie plate. Bake for 5 minutes at 325, let cool a little, add filling and bake as the recipe states].

Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream!


Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering just thinking and looking at your pie pics! I'll take one of your samples, to go, please. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE allrecipes.com. that is where i get the majority of my recipes. and i like that you can read all the reviews and tips ppl leave. i wish i could have had a bite of your key lime pie! i haven't had one of those in a long time. and kudos for making homemade crust! i bet it was divine!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips